Saving My Life

Anything I post on here about PCOS or any other condition, is general information or information I've accumulated in my experience having PCOS or other conditions. I'm not a doctor, so nothing I say should EVER take place of a real diagnosis from your doctor. My eating plan described on this blog is one I've made for myself and I'm constantly changing it according to my body's needs.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Yesterday and Today

Yesterday, I messed up at the very end of the day. I wasn't feeling good and I guess I equate food with comfort...and comfort means chocolate, so I ate a bowl of my husbands cocoa pebbles. What I really wanted was to make a pan of brownies, but I knew I was gonna mess up and figured that a bowl of cereal would be better than making brownies....not sure if my logic is skewed or not, but this time around I'm going to try not beating myself up. My perfectionism in the past has served me poorly b/c as soon as I mess up, I give up dieting alltogether. I know that I didn't put all this weight on in just a few days, so I can't expect to be perfect even in the first few days of dieting. I skipped snacking during the day and didn't have a huge breakfast so I think it contributed to my night hunger.So, here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 1c. and a half of Kashi cereal (I am running out of groceries at this point and thought if I ate extra cereal, that maybe it would keep me from getting hungry so quick)

Lunch: Big salad consisting of: romaine and arugula, mushrooms, yellow bell pepper, roma tomato, cranberries, cashews, carrots, broccoli slaw, and sprinkle of mozzarella, Newman's Own Ranch dressing

Dinner: Pork and Vegetable Stir Fry with Cashews (I used chicken b/c I do not like to eat pork often)

Snack1: Bear Naked Almond Vanilla crunch granola with trailmix and milk
Snack2: Bowl of cocoa puffs

I did not drink my herbal tea the way I should have....so in the process I didn't drink nearly enough period which also probably contributed to hunger. Here's the dinner recipe. It was a very tasty dish that I will certainly make again using chicken always. Scroll down after the recipe to see what I ate today.


Ingredients

3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice (I used brown rice)
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, salted and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
2 tablespoons honey
1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin(or chicken), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
 1 cup chopped onion
 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger(use fresh! It's so much better)
 2 garlic cloves, minced
 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 6 ounces)
 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1)

Preparation:

Cook the rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped green onions, chopped dry-roasted cashews, and salt; set aside, and keep warm.

Combine 2/3 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, and honey in a small bowl, and set aside.

Combine pork, remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a bowl, tossing well to coat. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan.

Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add mushrooms and 1 cup onion; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add peas and bell pepper to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in pork; sauté 1 minute. Add reserved broth mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Serve over cashew rice.
Nutritional Information

Calories:460 (23% from fat)
Fat:11.8g (sat 2.5g,mono 6.2g,poly 2.3g)
Protein:31.8g
Carbohydrate:55.9g
Fiber:3.6g
Cholesterol:74mg
Iron:4.6mg
Sodium:787mg
Calcium:73mg

Today!

And you're gonna love this...I messed up even worse today. lol I probably shouldn't laugh...but it's better than beating myself up. So, here goes...

Breakfast: Leftover stirfry from lastnight b/c I was out of cereal

Lunch: Subway-6 inch roasted chicken sub with lots of veggies on whole wheat bread with lite mayo, baked potato chips....and yes,....a cookie!! I overloaded on carbs big time. (I was in Wal-Mart feeling physically awful as I have for many weeks now-precisely why I went to the doc. My blood sugar was low b/c I did not even try to bring a snack with me so of course my body was craving some major carbs.)

Snack: When I was at Wal-Mart I bought a 4 pack of muffins to take to my sister-in-law with some dinner for tomorrow. The muffins did not make it. I had one, then gave my son a half of one...and ate his other half. Jeezzzz!

Dinner: homemade whole wheat thin crust pizza w/ turkey pepperoni and mushrooms. (I ate probably 3/4 a pizza by myself b/c I ate the wrong kind of snack earlier which allowed my bloodsugar to crash so I went out of control)

Snack: Went to my girlfriend's house to watch a chicflick. I had two cups of coffee and a chocolate truffle.

Whew!! So glad to get that off my chest....unfortunately typing it here doesn't get it off my waistline. Ok, so I've got to do better tomorrow....I had a rough patch and now I have to jump back on the horse/wagon...er whatever they say. I definitely need to exercise off some of the damage tomorrow (I really hope I physically can since I have felt so awful here lately...I've got to do it) Tomorrow a new day begins. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment