Saving My Life

Anything I post on here about PCOS or any other condition, is general information or information I've accumulated in my experience having PCOS or other conditions. I'm not a doctor, so nothing I say should EVER take place of a real diagnosis from your doctor. My eating plan described on this blog is one I've made for myself and I'm constantly changing it according to my body's needs.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Thursday Feb. 4, 2010 Food Log, Recipe, and Success for Today :)

I was better about remembering to eat today. I'm still trying to get used to having my appetite suppressed. I've been used to my blood sugar dropping as a cue to eat (which wasn't good at all either). I really, really, hate prescription meds. I do realize that a lot of them can help, but there's the side effects (I haven't had any so far...thank goodness) and the fact that they are not natural. However, for once, I've decided to TRY trusting my doctor...a little. I will say that one good thing about appetite suppressants that really work, is being able to actually think rationally before I make food choices. I have really appreciated that. It's helped me take a good look at my eating behaviors. For instance, today I went out to finish my grocery shopping. It got around to 4 o'clock (hungry time) and I was inside the dollar store where many cookies and packaged candies reside. I was buying Valentines and candy for my little girl's party. I went through the food and candy isle.....and then I stopped midway down the isle. I was SO tempted. I eyed snickerdoodle cookies, but then thought "Hmm...maybe something small won't be so bad". Well, I should probably mention I was a bit angry with my husband at the time...we had an argument before I left the house. It's as if the cookies in the dollar store served as a "lover" that I ran off to seeking to get back at my husband for upsetting me. Anyway, after eyeing the cookies, I went over to the freezer to look at ice cream. I thought to myself, "Jeez, I've lost almost 11lbs. Would I be getting even with my husband? No Kim, you would be sabotaging the great job you've done so far." So....I paid for my stuff and left! Ha! I felt really good about it....no regrets about not eating cookies. After that, I went to Wal-Mart and it was smooth sailing. I made it home in enough time to cook a nice, healthy dinner and even forgot to have a little snack before dinner b/c I was so involved in the process of cooking and not thinking about eating. :) So, here's what I ate.....

Breakfast: 1/2c. Bear Naked Low-fat, low-sugar Vanilla Crunch, 1/4c. anitoxidant trailmix, 1/2c. almond milk

Lunch: Whole wheat pita, 3 slices all natural turkey breast, 1 slice cheddar cheese, romaine and arugula, 1tbsp. Newman's Own Ranch dressing, green grapes

Dinner: Adobo Chicken (I will post this fabulous recipe...I ate 2 small thighs), Kale seasoned with small amount of hoisin sauce, 1/2c. brown rice

Snack: 1/2c. Bear Naked granola, small handful antioxidant trail mix, 1/2c. milk (I really should have used this opportunity to eat fresh fruit and carrots...I will be mindful next time)

Here's tonight's dinner recipe...it was wonderful. I will say that the sodium is a little bit high even using low sodium soy sauce and the carbs are a little bit high for me. Actually, I think I ate a few too many carbs today period. Altogether though, it was a good recipe that used all natural ingredients. I will definitely make this again.

Adobo Chicken

Serve this tangy Philippine dish with two large navel oranges cut into wedges.




Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and about 6 tablespoons sauce)





Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
2 cups chopped onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice (I used brown rice)

Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently.

2. Return chicken to pan. Add soy sauce and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 12 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce thickens. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Nutritional Information

Calories:483

Fat:14.7g (sat 3.4g,mono 6.3g,poly 3.6g)

Protein:33.1g

Carbohydrate:53g

Fiber:2.2g

Cholesterol:99mg

Iron:3.8mg

Sodium:888mg

Calcium:55mg

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a darn good dinner. And don't be buying snickerdoodles from any store, let alone the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great dinner. I'll definitely be making that recipe again. Yeah, buying cookies from the dollar store would not have been a good thing and I'm so happy I didn't give in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what a great day of eating! smart choices can be so difficult when you're faced with an aisle of chocolates and cookies at the grocery store. good for you! i'm sorry i couldn't give you specifics on the oven pancake today. you're doing great kim.

    ReplyDelete