Saving My Life

Anything I post on here about PCOS or any other condition, is general information or information I've accumulated in my experience having PCOS or other conditions. I'm not a doctor, so nothing I say should EVER take place of a real diagnosis from your doctor. My eating plan described on this blog is one I've made for myself and I'm constantly changing it according to my body's needs.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Food log for Feb.22nd Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (sort of)

Hi people, I'm still trying to get well. I still feel pretty rough, but at least no more cold chills and my fever seems to be gone too. :) It's funny, every time I've gotten on my computer today, I start reading stuff and forget to do my food log entry. So, sorry it's late...not that it's so wonderful to look at, but nevertheless...sorry. So here it is...

the 22nd:
Breakfast: 1c. Kashi cereal, 1c. milk

Lunch: 1 multigrain Arnold's sandwich thin, 3 slices turkey (and this is not my normal all-natural hormone free kind I usually use....they were all out so this is Oscar Meyer :( ), 1 slice cheddar, 1c. green grapes

Dinner: Homemade Chicken Noodle soup ( I actually went through a lot to make this even though I didn't feel good, but the nice thing about soup is the fact that it all goes into one pot and I can sit and cut veggies on my couch while boiling the chicken)

And did ya know about the healing properties of chicken soup? It turns out it's not a myth. Here, read this article about chicken soup . So, this is how I made it and I apologize ahead of time....I do not measure spices and liquid in the least. I also did not take any pics of the soup.

First, I covered 8 chicken legs with water in my dutch oven. I sprinkled some sea salt, 2 bay leaves, a little sage, rosemary, thyme, dried minced onion, and garlic powder (I'd normally use whole garlic but I didn't feel like chopping) in with the chicken. While that was boiling, I cut up one large onion, lots of baby carrots, and 3 celery stalks. Once my chicken was done, I pulled them out of the pot and set them aside to cool. I took my broth that the chicken cooked in and put it through a sieve. Then I put a clean, thin wash cloth over a bowl and poured it through to catch a lot of the chicken fat (this really works well by the way). I put the broth back in the pot, added more water, put all the veggies in, and put more herbs in too (same kind of herbs just a little less this go round...taste the broth first before throwing in more). While the veggies were simmering, my daughter and I were picking chicken off the bones (discarding fat and any of the other junk). We then put the cut up chicken pieces and maybe about a cup and a half of whole wheat rotini pasta in the pot. I let it boil for about 15 minutes more and voila! It's good, homemade, herby, whole wheat noodle, cold fighting, MSGless, soup. Oh, and after it's been refrigerated for a while, you can skim more fat from the top of the soup although there won't be a lot there.

I also drank a lot of herbal tea throughout the day. I drank chai w/ a little milk and agave nectar, peppermint tea, and loads of lemon ginseng green tea.

2 comments:

  1. I miss my dutch oven. My husband used mine to blue a pistol once....after that it was ruined.
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what's blueing a pistol? LOL! Sounds painful for the pistol. Yeah, I like my dutch oven, but I'd really like to have a big stockpot. I'd love to make big batches of stews and soups so I could freeze a lot of leftovers. I looove just taking out a bag or a bowl from the freezer and warming it up...it takes such little time and it's still homemade. Thanks for the well wishes....I hope I feel better soon too. My house is gross! It's begging to be cleaned. lol

    ReplyDelete